small pet rescue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fennel (now Kiba) has a tumor..

2 posters

Go down

Fennel (now Kiba) has a tumor.. Empty Fennel (now Kiba) has a tumor..

Post  RATical Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:55 pm

At least, I'm pretty sure that's what it is. I've never had a rat with a tumor, so I'm not entirely sure what to do.. It's not huge, but it's there. It developed in the course of two or three days, and today I noticed what I thought was nothing had started to get quite a bit bigger. I'd like to get it removed, but I'm not entirely sure where to go or how much it will cost. Even worse, I'm going to need to find somewhere that will provide some sort of payment plan.. I just don't know what to do. Sad

RATical

Back to top Go down

Fennel (now Kiba) has a tumor.. Empty Re: Fennel (now Kiba) has a tumor..

Post  RATical Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:51 am

I spoke with a friend who is a vet tech, and she says that it is probably actually an abscess, and that I can treat it at home. I'm going to wait a day or two to see if it gets smaller, and then drain it.. which is pretty gross.

RATical

Back to top Go down

Post  RATical Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:08 am

Treated the abscess, and all is well! I'm so relieved that it was that and not a tumor. Kiba is happy and doing well, as are my other two boys. I began intros with my other boys today, and it seems to be going quite well. I'm also thinking about going out tomorrow and buying a Ferret Nation cage. Smile

RATical

Back to top Go down

Post  Rachel Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:29 pm

Oh what a relief!
I am sorry I wasn't attentive to your posts from the beginning. My first thought was , WOW, Fennel is very young to have a tumor.
I have dealt with abscesses in guinea pigs, sugar gliders, rats and rabbits. It usually starts a small wound or opening that just becomes a huge puss filled infection. Draining it is the first course of treatment. And it is best for it to stay open for a while, so that no puss (infections) stays inside while it heals. If there is still puss, it will become an abscess all over again. For an abscess on a bunny , I had to open it up each day and flush it out until the hole ( where the infection drained out) got smaller and smaller , then was nonexistant. It is also good to treat with oral antibiotics. For certain abscesses or stubborn ones that won't go away with this treatement, surgical removal may be needed.
How is he now?
How are Moe and Blaze? Has Blaze warmed up and calmed down at all?

Rachel
Admin

https://smallpetforum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RATical Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:02 pm

He is doing great! I found an outline for abscess treatment on a rat forum I frequent, and followed that. There is absolutely no lump anymore at all.
Moe has been re-named Jean-Claude (hehe), and he is doing great as well. He's still the most social out of the three.
Blaze is definitely warming up to people. He actually really gets along well with my little brother which is amazing because animals don't normally get along with him. I try to give him a little extra attention, and he seems to be enjoying it. He actually comes to the cage door right away to come out and play now.

RATical

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum