small pet rescue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rescue Mom and her babies

5 posters

Go down

A rescue Mom and her babies Empty A rescue Mom and her babies

Post  Rachel Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:50 pm

Many of you may or may not know about a Mom rat that was dropped off here at Life Long Tails about two weeks ago. She was dropped off with 10 babies that were 4 weeks old. They are all adoptable now and there is one female and 9 males. I have lovingly named them Noel ( the daughter), Figgy Pudding, Tinsel, Yuletide, Egg Nog, Kringle, Jingle Bell, Snowman, Gingerbread and Rudolph. I named the Mom , Poinsettia. As soon as I saw Poinsettia I knew she was pregnant again, she must have been left with the male after she had given birth to the original 10. She gave birth only two days after she arrived here. I can't tell how many are inside the nesting area, they are all crowed on top of each other and it is too soon to distrub the babies or nest. They are started to squeak and I can see fur coming out, I can't wait for the cute stage where their eyes are just opening. Poinsettia is a great Mom, and I hope after all is said and done that she'll find a great home too.

Rachel
Admin

https://smallpetforum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

A rescue Mom and her babies Empty Good Homes

Post  Kathy Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:24 pm

I hope all your rats will be able to find good homes when they are old enough. You have given them cute names, appropriate for this time of year! My kids had rats when they were in elementary school. My daughter's rat was one of four that were part of the 5th grade classroom science project: feed two rats well, feed two rats junk food, then reverse the rats' diet after a period of time. The kids weighed the rats and observed and commented on their conditions. After the experiment was over, Peaches got to come live at our house. My son wanted a rat also, so we went to the pet store and got Snowball. It is amazing how tame, smart and loving they are.

Kathy

Back to top Go down

A rescue Mom and her babies Empty NEW BABIES :)

Post  dawnrae Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:52 pm

bounce

Can't WAIT to see the new babes!!!! Her last litter was soo cute.

bounce

dawnrae

Back to top Go down

A rescue Mom and her babies Empty Re: A rescue Mom and her babies

Post  Rachel Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:43 pm

Today I found Momma, Poinsettia laying all sprawled out, all four legs spread open with all her babies underneath her drinking away. And i could see little baby rat feet sticking straight up in the air, toooo cute! I love you

Rachel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Deefar Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:05 am

Hi Rachel,

I would love to adopt the little girl rattie, she would fit in perfectly with my other girl ratties. I can also take some males to foster if you want me too, I will send you an email.

Deefar

Back to top Go down

Post  Rachel Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:40 pm

Dawn F,
There is someone else seriously interested in Noel, she'd like to introduce Noel to her other rattie female. She will be coming to see Noel on Friday, to find out if they hit it off and fall in love. I am certain there will be another young girl from the other group of babies that poinettia is nursing. in fact they will be ready to wean from her in another week or so.
I am sure you'll be okay with this, but I wanted to let you know. I also will let you know if She is adopted or not.
Rachel

Rachel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Deefar Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:59 am

Sorry Rachel about not getting back with you about Noel. I have been sick with a migraine for 2 days. Thats ok, I can wait for next girl rat and let me know how the adoption goes with Noel.

Deefar

Back to top Go down

Post  Rachel Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:24 pm

So sorry to hear that you have been under the weather also , Dawn. I will let you know how it goes on Friday.

Rachel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Deefar Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:28 am

Rachel, did Noel get adopted?

Deefar

Back to top Go down

A rescue Mom and her babies Empty From: Noel's new human

Post  rat lovin' law student Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:53 pm

If this is repeat, I am sorry. Computers make me nuts. Just wanted to let you know that I adopted Noel last night.

My name is christine, I live and work in Buffalo and am a second year law student at UB. Noel is adjusting really well. She is a very curious (and believe it or not - bold) little baby. I am hoping she and my older rat Mee-too will bond and hopefully eventually become cage mates as Mee-too's sister passed away 2 weeks ago.

I admit it - against all rules of rat introduction I put them in my towel lined empty bathtub last night, after rubbing them both down with some vanilla extract. Noel loves her new big sister! Imitating her movements, crawling under her, grooming her, chasing after her. My Mee-too has always been a talker, always "meeping". Mee-too was a good big sister and tolerated the hyper baby energy all the while meeping. It was pretty dang cute.

Noel was very suspicious of the Yogie treat that my rats get as a treat in the morning (also I like to condition them to come when they hear the yogie jar rattling). It took her a while to accept it, but she did and now is probably addicted to those yummy treats. She is enjoying her dried organic dog food and dried spiral veggie pasta the most our of all of her food. Can you believe this - she refused a slice of banana this morning.

OK, enough. Look at me rambling on and on. Well that's what new mommies do I suppose, we brag about our babies. So in short, all is well. Noel is in a good home, is very loved, well fed, and cozy.

rat lovin' law student

Back to top Go down

Post  Rachel Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:35 pm

I really wouldn't have pegged Noel as a bold rat , Christine. I am glad she is adjusting and doing so well.
And Welcome to our forum! What a Face So happy to have you here

Rachel
Admin

Back to top Go down

A rescue Mom and her babies Empty More baby news

Post  rat lovin' law student Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:10 pm

Thanks for the welcome to your forum. Yeah, go figure, Noel is bold, curious, and ready to romp with me and her new big sister. Wow, I had no idea how big my Mee-too was until I saw her and Noel side by side. I tell Noel she is going to grow up as big, strong, pretty and smart like her sissy.

Tonight I think we will all hang out on the couch together, watch a "chick flick" and I will sip yummy red wine and let the girls share some of my popcorn as part of their introduction process. Par-tay! Wink

I am so happy to have a baby home for the holidays!

Rachel, what kinds of fruits did Noel enjoy? At night I give them a fresh bowl of food (she is eating my homemade food with no problem) and give them a piece of carrot and broccoli, which she is also eating up. However, the morning slice of banana is being rejected, a first in my household! Any fruit suggestions?

Merry Christmas!!!

rat lovin' law student

Back to top Go down

Post  Rachel Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:33 pm

Banana was a fruit i didn't offer Noel or the other baby ratties yet. They have had Canteloupe, blueberries, apples and honey dew melon. Vegetables they have had are brocolli, carrots, corn and cucumber. There are many more you can try Christine. The rats did eat all their fruits and veggies up but I think Poinsettia did take more than her portion since she is feeding many mouths, so Noel may have been left with what she didn't eat. Surprised I did observe Noel grab a slice of something and dash off with it before poinsettia could claim it , smart little girl she is.

Rachel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum