small pet rescue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Teenagers...

4 posters

Go down

Teenagers... Empty Teenagers...

Post  dawnrae Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:28 am

So my younger boys are coming into their teenage years and Brie is showing signs of aggression toward me...He's bit me 3 times, 2 time HARD and badly broke the skin. I checked the other boys and they are showing no signs of bite marks so I think he's got some "mommy issues"...probably b/c I gave him a girl name Wink Anyhow, he's going to need to be neutered, is my point, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much their vet charges, just so I can compare...

dawnrae

Back to top Go down

Teenagers... Empty Re: Teenagers...

Post  Rachel Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:45 am

HI Dawn,
My very first thought was neutering too. My only experience with a biting rat was Hyde, and Dawn Farley fostered him for a while too. He was approaching two years old when he arrived here and was two years old when Dawn started fostering him, he really was a bit too old for a neuter. Plus, I think we figured out why he bit. Dawn and I are Very certain that he had poor eyesight, so when he couldn't see what was coming at him and didn't recognize the scent he would bite. once he did get to know you and your scent he stopped biting and even became a loveable , huggable boy. It is unfortunate that we recently lost Hyde, he had tumors in his sinuses that went into the brain, nothing could be done to help him. Dawn misses him deeply and what can I say , I miss the fellow too, he was a squishy once he got to know you.
Since your boy went from being nice to a biter, I'd say a neuter might be the solution. But I'd also have a medical exam done too, he could be hiding illness or pain and is biting because something is wrong. Most vets do a routine exam prior to putting any pet under anesthesia anyway.
When we had Will, davy and Jack neutered our vet gave us a discount, because we rescue and we are their "best clients " What a Face and because we were doing three, he charged $40 each. When I called and asked the receptionist what it would be she told me it would be $150 each but for me to talk to Dr.T because she knew he would help us out with costs.
Dawn Farley also recently had a rat neutered, her Mowgli. I am not sure what the cost was for her but I know it went well and Mowgli did great.
Don't get too discouraged it is these times that we wish our companions could speak to us and tell us why they are doing this. I am sure there is a reason though, finding out what it is is the hardest part. My first instinct says hormones are at play and he is biting out of territorial tendencies, a neuter may be the solution. Good luck Dawn . Blow kisses to Brie instead of giving him them.

Rachel
Admin

https://smallpetforum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Deefar Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:54 am

Males going into their "teens" can be a unpredictable time. In some males when the hormones settle down, they become calm again but not always. Is he biting you from inside the cage or outside the cage? I have found that biting from inside the cage is a territorial aggression, he feels he needs to protect is home. I decided to have Mowgli neutered because my males weren't getting along with him. Being that Mowgli was just under a year old, I felt neutering was an option but I carefully considered it first. Mowgli wasn't aggressive at all, I just didn't want him to live a lonely life. I called my Vet in Corfu and discussed it with him and set up an appointment. Mowgli came through surgery just fine and never needed any pain meds. He was back to his normal self by day 2 after the surgery. Mowgli's surgery cost me $120 and they took excellent care of him. Everyone at the vet thought Mowgli was awesome and just loved having him as a patient. Two of the vet techs spent their lunch playing with Mowgli. Only you can know if neutering if right for him. It is worth talking to your vet about it and don't be afraid to ask question. How long has his aggressive behavior been going on?

Deefar

Back to top Go down

Post  RATical Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:12 am

Is it really $150 for neutering?? I got my boyfriend's cats both neutered for less than that. Sad
I was considering getting my boys neutered, but there's no way I can afford that for six rats..

RATical

Back to top Go down

Post  Rachel Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:11 pm

We get male rats neutered for $80 but we receive a rescue "discount". you can call around and ask for price quotes from different vets in your area.

Rachel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RATical Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:50 pm

Which vet clinic do you go to? I've called a few of the places near me and a lot of them don't even see rats.

RATical

Back to top Go down

Post  Rachel Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:23 pm

We go to Seneca Animal Hospital in East Aurora , NY.

Rachel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum