Feeding Ratties

Go down

Feeding Ratties

Post  Deefar on Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:23 am

I'm just wondering what everyone is feeding their rats? My ratties seem to really like the Harlan Blocks and the cereal mix I make up for them. They love their veggies like carrots, peas, green&yellow beans, all the colors of fresh peppers, peanut butter, apples, pears, oranges to name a few. A couple times a week I will give them some meat like chicken and beef. A couple days ago I gave them a really special treat, I gave them a dinner of chicken, mashed potatoes, corn and green beans, cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie for desert. I have never seen rats eyes so big before, they were so excited. They wasted no time in licking the plate clean. What are some treats you feed your rats?

Deefar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Feeding Ratties

Post  Rachel on Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:26 pm

Hi Dawn,
The guys here didn't take too well to the Harlan lab block food, it always sat in the dishes , untouched , not even nibbled on. The rats were always begging for something else to eat. I have been feeding them forti-diet which I know isn't all that good. So I have been getting them Mazuri blocks which so far has been a hit they do like them. I've been looking into the Oxbow rodent food because that is where I get the rabbit pellets, but they seem to advertise that is more geared towards hamsters. I had even ordered the harlan food for hamsters, and even the hamsters wouldn't eat it Neutral
Besides the lab blocks I give the rats cereals like cheerios, puffed rice, puffed wheat, regular shredded wheat, rolled oats. I also give them dry pasta mixes and dry fruits like , paypaya, craisins or pineapple. They get different baby foods and fresh veggies and fruits. We always have either honeydew or canteloupe here since sugar gliders love those fruits.
And for a reat and chewing pleasure I give them biscuits or greenies.

Dawn, I'd like some chicken, potatos and cranberries! That souds so good right about now Razz

Rachel
Admin

View user profile http://smallpetforum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rachel on Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:29 pm

I forgot to write that I also feed them senior formula of Pro Plan naturals. And they get tofu once in a while also.

Rachel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RATical on Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:02 am

I feed my rats a special mix of things.. The mix is half dog kibble (I use Beneful since they like that best), and half grain mix. The grain mix has rolled oats, soy nuts, craisons, dried bananas (not banana chips.. very fatty), dry tri-color veggie pasta, either kashi or cheerios cereal, total cereal, sunflower seeds, and dried peas. I just make sure to get everything unsalted and unsweetened and mix a ton together and store it in a big container. About $30 a month feeds four rats very healthily. Smile

RATical

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rachel on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:07 am

Vicki,
where do you find your soynuts? Most places I go to only has salted. I did find one place that has unsalted but they are still roasted. I just want unsalted and unroasted soynuts.

Rachel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RATical on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:35 pm

They are really hard to find sometimes, but the Tops near me on Niagara Street in Tonawanda sometimes has them. If I can't find them, I leave them out of their diet. Sometimes it will be months before I find them again. It's unfortunate because the boys really love them. I'll let you know if I find a more reliable place to get them.

RATical

View user profile

Back to top Go down

feeding rats

Post  karenchk on Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:07 pm

Hi! Where do you get the Mazuri Blocks from? I think I would like to try them as my rats do not seem to like the lab blocks I am giving them. I find them outside their dish scattered throughout their cage.
Karen

karenchk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rachel on Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:05 pm

I am pretty certain that you can find Mazuri pellets at Petco or Petsmart. Where do you live? I can probably help you find a store that only sells supplies and not pets (supporting mill breeders)

Rachel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Blocks

Post  karenchk on Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:44 pm

Hi! I'm the one who bought the two male hairless rats in January. I live in cheektowaga. Did you ever get my e-mail about the rat toys that I can either bring to you or you can pick up? This forum is great! I am getting alot of ideas for feeding them. I am glad that you mentioned greenies because they love them. I put one in their cage the other day. I figured they could share it but they started fighting over it so I had to give them each their own! I get the petite dog ones.
Karen

karenchk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down